Purchasing and Installing C-MAP Charts
Purchasing C-MAP charts
Start Coastal Explorer and enter the chart store with Settings > Charts and Add-Ons > Store > C-MAP.
You will now see a panel called “Coverage Areas”. Choose the area that applies to you. Once you do that, you will see a list of chart regions within your chosen coverage area. You will also see a Map View, at the right, that shows outlines for each C-MAP chart region. If you select a specific chart region from the left, it will be highlighted on the chart to the right, showing you the area covered by that chart region. The region also shows the price for that region and has an “Add to cart” button, so you can add that chart region to the Shopping Cart for purchase when you are finished choosing chart regions.
Notice that many areas are covered by more than one chart option. In some cases this is because adjacent regions have some overlap, and in other cases this is because different types of charts are available for the same area. If clicking on a chart does not select the one you want, try clicking on the edge of the chart area rather than the interior. You can also right-click on an area and use the “Select Other Chart” option to pick the one you want.
Once you’ve selected the charts you want to purchase and have added them to your shopping cart, press the “Shopping Cart” button near the top of the screen to place your order.
After you have completed your order, licenses for your new charts will be installed on your PC and Coastal Explorer will begin downloading the charts. You will see progress of the download in the Properties Panel.
When the download completes, your C-MAP charts are ready to be used. To use them, select “C-MAP Charts” from the chart type menu or press the M key.
Installing C-MAP charts on a second or third PC
You may install C-MAP chart licenses on each of your active Coastal Explorer PC’s (up to three). After you have purchased a C-MAP chart license on one PC, you use this procedure to install the C-MAP charts and licenses on your other PC’s.
- Open Settings > Charts and Add-Ons > C-MAP MAX in the browser.
- You should see a list of “Uninstalled Licensed Charts” and each will have an Install button.
- Click the Install buttons for each of the charts you want to install on this PC.
This will cause the charts to be downloaded and licensed for this PC. C-MAP chart data can be quite large, so we recommend you do this when you have a fast and stable internet connection, since an interruption in internet service may cause problems and you may need to call us for help should this happen.
Installing C-MAP charts on a PC without using the internet
If you need to install C-MAP charts on a second or third PC without using the internet, you will need to call Rose Point in order to activate your C-MAP charts for the additional PC’s.
On the first computer (with internet access and the C-MAP chart installed):
- Open Settings > Charts and Add-Ons > C-MAP MAX
- Right-click on the C-MAP chart region and select Copy to
- In the Copy Charts dialog box, use the Copy to: drop-down menu to select the USB flash drive and click OK. This puts chart file in the root directory of the USB flash drive; critical it remain there (in the root directory) for the process to work.
- When it’s done copying, use the Windows ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ icon to eject the USB Flash drive
On the second computer (without internet access):
- Start Coastal Explorer and insert the USB flash drive.
- Open Settings > Charts and Add-Ons.
- You should see an option to install your C-MAP Charts near the top of the browser; select it.
- You will now see a list of the C-MAP Charts on your USB Flash Drive an each one will have an Install button. Click the buttons to install the charts you want on this PC.
- If you are asked to install the C-MAP licensing system, say yes; restart Coastal Explorer and begin again (this will only happen the first time you install C-MAP charts on a PC)
- An Install C-MAP Chart License window opens
Call Rose Point Navigation Systems (425-605-0985) and provide your Product ID, Installation ID, Chart name and Chart License Request code (exactly, including punctuation). Rose Point will use the information to request a C-MAP chart license, which you’ll enter into the Chart License field (all 30 characters) and click OK. Coastal Explorer will activate the license and copy the associate chart from the root directory of the USB flash drive to the correct location on this computer.